Sunday, November 15, 2015

Amazonian Basketball Hoops, Ducks fighting Islanders, and Shows that are apparently still on TV!

Fun Fact: Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting.

I am a fan of this fun fact opening.  This week was not super eventful due to the amount of work I’ve had to do for upcoming deadlines but I owe it to my mom to keep writing blogs so she knows I’m not dead or in jail.  I’m alive and free mommy!

This beginning of this week was largely uneventful!  Sunday Carissa and I walked down to a Tiki Bar near our house that came up when we Googled “bars with NFL Sunday ticket.”  It is like a half mile away and one of the guys who owns it apparently grew up in Connecticut and is a Patriots fan  the other owner is from Southern California and is a Dolphins fan though so it’s not a full on Patriots bar if you know what I mean.  Keep in mind this was the game against Washington so it was moderately interesting considering at no point during the game was there ever really a fear that the patriots would lose so our focus in the bar just shifted to the D bag next to us who couldn’t stop yelling about the Rams game (even one of the owners came over and said everybody at the bar hates him and that he’s there every Sunday).

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were relatively uneventful.  I went to work and came home.  Monday I also played basketball and schooled some Californians on how we do it on the east coast (for those of you that don’t already know, I am horrible at basketball… I’m told that I don’t even shoot the right way… that’s the joke there…).  Tuesday we bought a dresser on craigslist because Carissa needed a bigger dresser/wanted a new arts and crafts project.  Wednesday I worked late and found out I’m going back to San Francisco next week (tomorrow… or today depending on when you read this… or a few days/weeks/months ago if you're not as interested in reading these as I write them).  But yeah, another Monday through Thursday trip to make sure we get all our ducks in a row before the deadline!  So to me that means more nights working late and the same amount of not actually seeing any of the City.  Such is life.

Thursday we had our annual State of the Firm at work where they tell us how the last year has gone and tell us we all need to work harder and be better.  The best part is after the whole meeting and whatnot there is an open bar!  We get a couple hours where we are rewarded for sitting through the first couple hours of the meeting.  I got a little face time with the big brass of Marcum and even found myself talking to Jeffrey Weiner at one point briefly (Managing partner and Executive producer of the Bourne Films).  It was a good night and nobody lost their job by saying anything stupid!

Friday started like any other Friday where we both went to work but then it got better.  Since my entire office had been at the state of the firm the previous night we were all feeling some of the lingering effects of having an open bar the night before.  I was in at the normal time because I know my limits and when the rest of the crew strolled in around 9:30 we figured it was time to start the day.  Since they were in no real condition to be productive (mixed with the fact that not all were as busy as I have been) there was a good deal of carousing going on.  We were talking about how we should get a mini basketball hoop to hang on the wall in our office area but we obviously didn’t want to wait until Monday to get it.  Enter Amazon Now.  This was my first experience with Amazon Now.  I have had Amazon Prime since college and I knew that they did free 2 day shipping.  It was one of my favorite things in the world when I found it.  Little did I know Amazon was not done changing the world there.  Amazon Now is a new(?) service where Amazon provides select items and allows for same day delivery!  Lucky for us Amazon realized that a miniature basketball hoop was 100% needed by us as soon as possible.  So yeah… if you pay $7 you can get one hour delivery or if you want to wait 2-4 hours you get free delivery.  I ordered the hoop (and some pizza rolls) at noon and by 2:15 we were shootin hoops and eatin pizza rolls!  It was the best day ever BUT THEN….  Carissa calls me.  Completely out of nowhere.  To tell me this:

Carissa: Hi
Jeff: What’s up my love?
Carissa: Nothing.
Jeff: Carissa my love!  I am so happy to talk to you because I’ve missed you while I’ve been at work!
Carissa: You’re ugly.
Jeff: Oh no!  You’ve noticed!  I’m ruined!
Carissa: I am going home now to poop in all of your shoes.
Jeff: That will be so squishy!

That went on for another 5 or 6 hours after that so I will give you the main points

Carissa said: I got free Anaheim Ducks tickets from work!
Jeff said: Woohoo!

So yeah, Friday night we went to see the Ducks play the Islanders!  It was a great time and a great game that I for some reason did not take any pictures of!  Hopefully there will be more opportunities though.  I also decided I wanted to buy an old school Ducks jersey (you know… Charlie Conway style) but when we went down to the pro shop the only ones there were of Teemu Selanne (which is cool) but they were $500 each (which is not cool) unless they were signed by Teemu Selanne - then they were $1,000 each (which is even less cool).  We then tried to go to an exclusive secret restaurant that’s hidden behind a book case in a mall-type location and they pretty much decided that we were lepers and said that they were booked out two weeks in advance and even though they had open seating at 10pm (which was about 15min from when we got there) then said that the “open seats” were already taken?  Either way I was not willing to sit there and talk to them because I was getting a vibe I wasn’t a fan of.

Saturday we both worked again.  That time of year I suppose?  Not really though… I’m busy because of the client I’m on and Carissa got put on an inventory count because she took new years off because we are coming home to watch the Winter Classic!  Not sure about specific dates or times yet but we will be home for at least January 1, 2016.  Hopefully the Bruins learn how to win a home game/beat Montreal by then.  Saturday night we went to a different restaurant that was named after an animal that was less exclusive and my bet is way better.  I had a bison burger that I’m still thinking about and we got to watch the Kings game!  We came home and Carissa started her arts and crafts project and eventually we had to go to bed because we had a big day today!

Sunday came and we had big plans.  We ignored that the Patriots were playing (because I’m dumb and can’t read schedules) and missed what was apparently one of the best games of the year to go be in a studio audience!  First things first - the Patriots are now 2-0 in games vs. the Giants I don’t watch so it’s a good thing I stopped watching.  Second the studio audience we went to sit in was for America’s Funniest Home Video’s with new host Alfonso Ribeiro!  You may know him as the winner of Dancing with the Stars season 19 (thank you Wikipedia - I also can’t believe that there’s been 19 season of that show…).  You also may know him as Carlton Banks from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air!  We were told to dress up in more formal attire so Carissa wore a nice dress and I wore a suit.  We were rewarded with front row seats!  The entire experience was awesome and we got to see the filming of a show from the other side of things.  We also know who won so if you’re looking to start taking bets on non-live TV let me know and I’ll give you some inside notes.  Look for us on January 3rd at 7pm on ABC.  For probably 90% of the show we were sitting in the front row on the right next to the giant cube thingy that showed some videos.  They did move us out right before they did the whole voting thing so we won’t be there when the lovely family from small town Georgia is sitting there.  That being said… We no longer have cable so you should all record it and send us pictures of ourselves on the TV!

That’s it for this week sports fans!  Have a great week full of rainbows and puppies!  More updates from San Francisco coming eventually!  Until next time - may your poops be plentiful!  (yup… loving this sign off)

No comments:

Post a Comment