Monday, November 30, 2015

Thanksgiving in Las Vegas!

Fun Fact: At various times in history, the White House has been known as the "President's Palace," the "President's House," and the "Executive Mansion." President Theodore Roosevelt officially gave the White House its current name in 1901.

It was a short week at work and a long weekend of giving thanks for all that we have!  Carissa and I personally showed thanks to everyone by going to Las Vegas!  We do appreciate all of you, but we don’t appreciate how much it costs to fly back to Rhode Island instead of flying to Vegas… where we intended to win enough money to be able to fly home to see you all.  Obviously that didn’t happen.  In fact not much happened Monday-Wednesday before we left so I am going to fast forward to Wednesday afternoon.  (I also don't know if I mentioned this but we plan to be home on or around New Years for the Winter Classic so we look forward to seeing all of you then)

Wednesday afternoon we boarded a flight to Las Vegas and after a quick 48 minutes we touched down in Sin City.  We stayed at the Luxor Hotel (the one that looks like a laser shooting pyramid) and made sure we got one of the rooms with the slanty walls so we could get the full experience.



So needless to say before we got to Las Vegas we did very little research about the city itself and relied on my memory of going there circa 2004.  Also needless to say I have a terrible memory so we only had about 6 hours of the 4 days planned based on what I remembered being fun (4 of those six hours were just drinking and gambling so I would say 13-14 year old Jeff probably didn’t recommend those things - he was lame).  We had done a little research and saw that there were shows there, most notably Circ De Soulay (apparently spelled “cirque du soleil” and roughly translated by me to “Circus of Soul” - which I believe is just a circus of James Browns belting out soulful classics like this)


So yeah, we were interested in the Circus but also noticed that those shows (like most things in Vegas) were pretty expensive.  To our luck when we walked into the hotel we were greeted by a short Spanish woman we couldn’t really understand who told us to check in and come back and see her and she could hook us up with discounted show tickets.  We did as instructed and went back to see her where she handed us off to a different guy who started talking to us about the different shows we could get discounts on and after about 10 minutes of us trying to decide what we wanted tickets to we were told that there was a short presentation the following morning (Thanksgiving morning) at 8:30am where we would just sit for about 2 hours and then we could have our tickets for $25 each (normally $140… so us being the savvy business folk we are we couldn’t turn down that offer).  So I joked that it sounded like they were selling us a timeshare and the guy just said something like “there’s no obligation to buy.” 

After that whole ordeal we decided to go to the buffet for dinner and drinks.  At this point it was about 9pm and the bar closed at 10pm so we spent $10 each to get the bottomless wine/beer package and the game was on to see if we could get our money’s worth.  The short answer is yes we got our money’s worth and we were both in bed by around 11pm (no gambling on day one).

The next morning we woke up at around 7:45am (delightfully hungover) and joked about having no idea what the hell we were going to do that morning.  We met about 50 other people in the lobby of the Luxor and got on a bus to go to places unknown.  After a 20 minute drive we arrived at a resort and our fears were confirmed - we were about to get a 2 hour timeshare presentation.  Naturally we were pumped because nothing gets us going like an excited sales woman telling us how great time shares are after a night of drinking!  Her name was Dallas and she spit hot bullshitty fire with the best of them, claiming that we were pretty much costing ourselves more money by not buying a time share.  The presentation took about 3 hours and we finally managed to get out of there with a packet of info and two tickets to the Circus for Saturday night!

After that morning we decided to explore the strip.  We walked up to around the Bellagio from the Luxor (which is like 4 hotels and maybe a half mile?) in the process we went through Excalibur (midevil themed hotel), New York New York (New York themed hotel… obviously), MGM (no theme/lion theme?), and more places I don’t remember!  We eventually stopped for the thanksgiving buffet at Monte Carlo which was way better than the Luxor buffet and went back to the Luxor for some gambling.  I ended up winning about $50 between roulette and blackjack so I was pretty pumped.

The next day (black Friday) we slept in because its vacation and we don’t shop (I don’t shop).  We eventually made it out of the room for more exploring around 10am.  We walked down almost the entire strip and along the way we stopped at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum (which is one of the things I remember about Las Vegas that I remember).  It was fun and along the way I got a picture with Brad Pitt and Carissa got stuffed by Shaq!  Oddly enough neither of them moved or even seemed to breathe but it was cool anyway.  We ate dinner at Bobby’s Burger Palace (or Bob’s Burgers as I like to call it) which I was told by the DelSesto’s is owned by Bobby Flay so that’s neat!  That night we went down to Fremont Street (old Vegas) and had ourselves a time… we forgot to take any pictures of that so there are some parts of the night that are a little fuzzy.  I also forgot to mention that I took a Craps lesson during that afternoon so I could try to figure out how to play.  One of the things I remember from that night is that I tried to play craps at one of the hotels on Fremont Street and I lost the $50 I had made the previous night.  I think overall I was even on the weekend but I’d have to look at my bank activity to be sure.

Saturday we walked around more and saw the fountains at the Bellagio do their fun fountain dance thing (the other thing I remember from my youth).  I was waiting for Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Bernie Mac and the rest of the “Ocean’s Eleven” cast to show up but unfortunately they aren’t real people.  Saturday night we got to use our circus tickets!  They didn’t allow pictures or videos but the show apparently cost around $165 million to produce and run and it pretty much looked like it.  The set itself was a moving stage that was literally like a floating 15x30 foot slab of metal (or whatever stages are made out of) that was being suspended in the air by the biggest hydraulic robot arm I have ever seen.  The entire thing was gigantic.  The set itself also had pieces that made it out into the theater where the audience was that reminded me of Waterworld or Mad Max (which are the same movie by the way).

(set of Waterworld... focus on the weird tower things - that's what reminded me of the Circus set)

The show itself was pretty much amazing and since the Circus of Soul was actually based more on acrobatics than music there were some INSANE acrobatics involved.  I would totally recommend going to see it if you are in the area.  It was the “Ka” show at MGM.  Apparently there are many different Circus of Soul shows so I just want to make sure you get information on the right one.  Saturday night we attempted to go to bed early because we had an early flight out of Vegas to get home but like IDIOTS we stayed up until 1am and got the shuttle to the airport at 6:10am.  We got back to California around 10am and had breakfast before sleeping until like 2pm.  I then decided that I was going to buy Rock Band 4 and I did.  It was another fun experience with Amazon Now where I ordered Rock Band at around 3pm and it was delivered at around 6pm.  I was naturally not home because I was watching the Patriots but when I got home after the game around 9:15pm (thank you time difference) I played for about 2 hours (with Carissa for about 1.5 of those hours) and made a band called Grilled Cheese Hands… which reminds me, I was talking to these dudes at the bar while the game was on and we started talking about bands because he said he was in one with his buddy who was there… long story short they liked the same kinds of music as me and when I went to shake their hands I apologized because I had Grilled Cheese Hands (because I was eating a grilled cheese… not because of some medical anomaly).  They said that would be a good band name and naturally I took that as a sign that I should name my video game band that very thing.  Side note: that guy also bought my beers because apparently people in California really like buying me beers!  I think the whole state is conspiring to save me money on alcohol - a practice I really appreciate!

Normally I write these things on Sunday but since I waited the extra day I will include that I drove to Riverside for work today and on the way home I was driving past mountains that were b-e-a-utiful!  If I wasn’t driving I would have taken a picture… but alas… I was driving.  So maybe later this week I’ll try to snap a picture if I end up back that way.  No real plans for the rest of this week but I think we do have plans to attend a beer fest of sorts this weekend (that Reel Big Fish is playing at) so I should have a story or two for next week!


Hope you all have a great week!  May your poops be plentiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment